My Very First Selfish Sew – The Asta Dress

I’m going to start my first sewing post with the first thing I made myself. Brief preface: I have only been sewing for about two years on and off. Starting with modifying curtains for our home and slowly progressing toward baby clothing.  I FELL IN LOVE with sewing. So naturally when my husband told me his company was having a party, my first thought was, oh my gosh, I can make my dress.  Little did I know what I was getting into.  Picking out fabric proved to be the MOST overwhelming experience.  There are a million and one types of fabric. Not to mention also having to decide on pattern to make. It almost felt like it was not worth it. But I am so glad I didn’t quit there. I found a pattern from Wardrobe By Me (just from doing a random google search) called the Asta dress and set my mind to knocking it out.

I didn’t have much to compare it to because I had only dabbled in making baby clothes. But the instructions were so clear and easy to follow, and the pattern pieces fit together so easily.  The dress comes with several options for sleeve length, the option to add pockets (so fun!) and a turtleneck or boat neck option.  For our occasion I chose the sleeveless, boatneck and I couldn’t be more pleased with how it came out.

Dresses-22Dresses-30

I used a Ponte De Roma knit that I ordered from GirlCharlee.com. I have to admit, I had NO IDEA what Ponte de Roma was but it sounded good for this dress.  So I can’t really judge whether or not this is a good Ponte – it is soft and stretchy, and thicker (more structure) than the knits I had used for my daughter’s clothes.  The fabric was on sale so the dress cost less than $20 to make ($9 for the pattern and $10 for the fabric).

As for the pattern – the fit was spot on except for the turtle neck! When I first tried it on, I had a buckling in the center of the neck.  I had to grade the pattern to a smaller size from under the arms up to the top of my shoulders. This made the neck hole smaller, therefore, removing the extra fabric that was buckling. The only other thing I changed was the length. I cut off about 6.5 inches from the designed hem because I prefer shorter dresses. The trickiest part about the whole dress was hemming. I used my twin needle, but I was getting some tunneling. After playing with my bobbin tension I was able to lessen the tunneling some, but I definitely have room for improvement. Also, I made this dress with my Brother cs600i sewing machine as this was before my serger days! Overall, I was super impressed by how easy the pattern and instructions were to follow but I was really blown away by the fit.  I also love the pocket detail. I am sooooo picky about dresses and feel like I have the hardest time finding ones that fit right in stores so I am thrilled at the result!

Dresses-25 pocket
Pockets!

Dresses-26

I highly recommend this versatile dress pattern.

 

One comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s